Sunday, June 14, 2009

Well Versed Family

As a Christian parent, I know it is important to teach God's word to my children. My head knows it, but somehow it gets put behind teaching shapes, colors, ABC's, and then there is the laundry, the list goes on and on. Over the past few days (a little over a week now) of hearing my friend Marsha quote scripture through email, voice messages, etc to pray over Brexton, I have found myself thinking, I wish I knew scripture they way she does. Wow...to be able to think of a need or situation and find a scripture verse to pray for my child. About a year ago..I was at Marsha's house and she encouraged her daughter to share her toys by quoting a scripture that not only encourages a child to share, but to share willingly. (I Timothy 6:18)

About 6 months ago...Carolyn Boykin spoke at my MOPS group. She has written a book on just this subject matter. I bought the book, and it ended up in the bottom of my dresser drawer with all my other well intend to read books...that end up collecting dust.

For some reason, I packed the book with my things to take to Tennessee. I was able to read most of the book one morning on my parents porch, coffee cup in hand, while watching the kids play in the Tennessee Sun. It encouraged me not to wait for Awanas, Sunday School Rewards, etc, but to start teaching them scripture NOW...even at 1,2 and 3 years old. Ms. Boykin has many many techniques and fun ways to teach scripture to your kids.
This is my first attempt....Proverbs 16:24
Pleasant words are like honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.
(This was also their first taste of cereal with sugar!)

Our family is headed to the beach this week....I am planning on packing lots of Honeycomb...so I can pull it out to remind them if our words get yucky...and that goes for mom and dad too!

I will post other scripture memory activities from her book as I try them with my kids.

She quotes one teen and adolescent expert in her book who says
"scripture memory is the single most effective life shaping tool in a parents toolbox!"

Check out her website at
http://www.wellversedfamily.com/











2 comments:

The Rowe Crew said...

Hi there! What a precious family you have!! I found you through the PoeFam when I saw the picture of the book you are talking about. I too bought the book for my family when Ms. Boykin spoke at my MOPS group a few months ago. I have SO enjoyed trying to put some of her ideas into practice and have been amazed at the amount of verses my 2-year-old has learned AND how fast she learns them. In fact, she often has to tell ME the reference. Ha! Good luck and I know they'll do great!!! Aren't we blessed to find such great resources through MOPS?!? God bless, Jessica

ThePoeFam said...

Thanks for this...I plan on ordering it soon! :) I love fun and differnet ideas to teach Q the Word of God!