Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Loving Em..One At A Time: Ava

I started blogging a few weeks ago about my quest to find ways to spend quality attention and time with each child. Ava gets the most quality time because the boys are fortunate enough to be able to attend a wonderful Christian Preschool near our home. Sometimes, my time with her makes me sad that I didn’t have that time at her age with the boys.

Anyway, I am starting to work with Ava on learning to use the potty. I think the most effective method for this is putting a child in undies and planning a day where you are as close to your child as possible and teaching them what to do as the opportunity presents itself each time. This method does work, but it is difficult to stay right by the child all day..especially if you have multiple children. This time around, I am not going to stress about it. Today was our first go at it, and she has shown some signs of readiness…so that is great:)

I have fallen head over heals in love with the blog “Tot School” A missionary mom homeschooling her 3 kids with creative play.

Check it out.http://1plus1plus1equals1.blogspot.com/

On her site, I found an easy assessment that I can use to peg where each child is and keep up with who knows what and what I need to work on with each one!

http://www.1plus1plus1equals1.com/TotSchool.html

I used the areas on the assessment to guide our day today.

Ava started with naming shapes and putting them into a puzzle. I also was able to check her color knowledge with this same activity.

ava's day 001 ava's day 002

A few months ago one of my neighbors dropped off a gold mine of hand me downs:) Each Dora book comes with most of the items pictured in the book as a play set. Today, I showed Ava the picture of Dora and she had to find the matching outfit and other things that went with each book. I was excited to have the time to teach her today, because this will be an awesome independent play center now that she understands what to do with all the items.

ava's day 006ava's day 005

ava's day 009

Next we made some brownies together!

ava's day 010

And finally it was time for her pinkalicious lunch! ava's day 013

ava's day 011

http://michellesjournalcorner.blogspot.com/2010/04/muffin-tin-monday-color-series-rainbow.html

(Check this blog for other fun lunch ideas)

ava's day 012

ava's day 014

And this is an end to my time….today because the boys will be home soon, and we have church tonight….but will try again another day!

By the way…..I took Ava to the potty about 8 times during these activities. Planning a day like this for your child, really does take the pain out of potty training!

Technorati Tags:

No comments: