Sunday, September 25, 2011

Sight Word Fun!

Zachariah started kindergarten a few weeks ago. Since then many friends have commented “oh, I thought you were going to homeschool?” I have loved having Zachariah home most everyday for the past 5 years…and have done the best of my ability not to waste any of that precious time..teaching him as much as possible while he was home with me. 
At this time, we have chosen to send Zachariah to kindergarten and I enjoy supporting his teacher to the best of my ability in the things he learns at school. 
I am writing this post with the intention of sharing with others how to support what your child is learning at school….at home!
Soon…after starting Kindergarten,Zachariah’s amazing wonderful teacher sent this home.
IMG_1366
This is his book bag,filled with reading materials on his reading level. Some are pre-made, some are books he has created in class, and a ring of sight word flashcards.  His teacher recommends 80 minutes of Reading per week.
Having a 5 year old sit down…and “practice reading” is __________________. (Fill in the blank for your family)
However; having your 5 year old sit down……
and make their words in playdough

IMG_1351 IMG_1352
or GLITTER GLUE
IMG_1353 IMG_1354
or SAND
IMG_1364 IMG_1365
is so much more FUN!
I would love to share with you the early reading program that  my blog friend, Carisa, developed.
You%20Can%20Read%20Button%20200x200
You Can Read is an amazing sight word program that you can download for your child. The first lesson included 3 of Zachariah’s sight words on the ring his teacher sent home. The 2nd lesson had 2 more of the words…and the 3rd week…had another. I am amazed how closely it is following what he is doing at school.  He is very excited about finding these words in his book bag after seeing them in a hands-on format!
Zach circling the sight words I call out.
IMG_1304
Zachariah is putting together a puzzle of his words.
IMG_1306 IMG_1307
Drawing a line to each sight word.
IMG_1308
Finding his sight words in our sensory table….
Rainbow Rice Recipe is here.
IMG_1363
We are also building a caterpillar out of the sight words as he masters them. After I am fairly certain he has learned a word…we add it to his caterpillar on his magnetic board in his room.
IMG_1358 IMG_1360 IMG_1361
There is a free download here for this fun activity!

I also found this amazing activity…which is great for any energetic child!
IMG_1367
These fun cubes are called education cubes. You can learn more about them   here.
I have a set of sight word inserts in our blue cube. Zachariah kicks the cube and then calls out the word that is face up.
IMG_1368
Although I am a little suspicious that AND came up everytime….here is a cute video!

Make sure to visit the show and tell to get lots of other great ideas!

And I know your going to ask….”When,do you do all of this on top of the homework being sent home?" Well, first of all Zachariah goes to a 4  day kindergarten, so we do the bulk of this on Fridays or Sundays if we take a field trip on Fridays. I will admit…he is often given the choice of “nap time or work with mom time” while the younger 2 nap. I do think most kids could handle one activity per day even if they attend school 5 days. They are fun activities. Also, Zachariah wakes up super early…so he usually does one activity with his breakfast before his siblings even know the dawn of a new day has begun!

1 comment:

Mama Jenn said...

Thanks for sharing and linking up! Could I share your post on the Education Cubes blog? I would use one of your photos and link back to your site.