Monday, November 26, 2012

Odd and Even…a Math Lesson

I have a million things I should be doing right now. I just want to sit for a minute though….so thought I’d blog about our super fun Math Lesson today.
Levi does go to a private kindergarten class, but he does Math at home with us everyday. He rushes home everyday so excited to do Math with Mom!
The  concept of odd and even numbers came up in Zach’s Math curriculum a few weeks ago. I skipped over it because I wasn’t ready to teach it yet. I am so glad I did! I was super excited when First Grade Parade blogged about Odd Todd and Even Steven the week before Thanksgiving.
So today, I introduced the boys to Odd Todd and Even Steven by reading them a book.
IMG_7504IMG_7508
AFter I read the book to them, I gave them the book to go back and retell me the story.
IMG_7521IMG_7518
Next, I wrote down the numbers on a piece of paper and got out a big tub of Legos. They counted out Legos on each number and then had to decide if the Legos could be shared fairly or not. The Legos that had numbers that could be shared went to Even Steven, and the Legos that could not be shared evenly went to Odd Todd. IMG_7501
IMG_7502
IMG_7506IMG_7505
After we figured out our odd and evens to 10. We glued Odd Todd and Even Steven into our Math Journals to visit again at a later day.
IMG_7510
Then I gave them another game to play so I could check for understanding with each boy.
IMG_7511
As you can see, the number 9 got into our Even pile. After a few minutes and some re-teaching though, this particular boy figured out that the number 9 was not part of the pattern of the rest of the numbers.
IMG_7513
We will keep working on this all week though. Such a fun way to learn though. I love Odd Todd and Even Steven!

No comments: