Saturday, November 2, 2013

A {very} personal post

I always knew I wanted to be a teacher. I played school and taught every doll and stuffed animal in my room as a child. When asked the question “what do you want to be when you grow up?” I always knew. I went to college...and enjoyed my education classes. I graduated from college and taught in Public School for 9 years. I taught 4th grade, 2nd grade, and 3rd grade. I loved my students, I loved their parents, I loved it when the light bulb came on. I watched for 9 years as student after student learned to read and as their light bulbs shown bright. When I taught 3rd grade, I watched the learning to read turn into reading to learn.

What I didn't know is that God in His very mysterious way was preparing me for the “ultimate student....my son.” Every reading class I took, every seminar/training I attended, every ARD meeting for my special needs kids, I was learning something I needed to know to help my son.

For the privacy of my son, I don't want to get into his specific challenges, but the way I have often summed it up is this...”I have never worked so hard, with one child, with such little results” I began to notice that Zach's brain was different at a very early age. I started advocating for him about age 2.5. I am grateful for the many people that God has brought into our path to help us help Zach learn. I spent countless hours researching, finding THE BEST team I can form to help Zach with his struggles. He does not appear by sight to have special needs....yet his needs are vast.

A few years ago another “special needs” mom told me about horse therapy. I didn't understand how it worked and honestly didn't think much more about it, but the Lord has continued using different people to put the subject in front of me. A few months ago, a sweet mom encouraged me to at least to put his name on the waiting list because the wait is long. I did. I often remind people that Zach's name means “Remembered by God” and today God showed me again that he is remembering Zachariah. I was introduced to the owner of Manegait Therapeutic Horsemanship today..and after I told her Zach's story, she gave me her personal contact information and said “Call me Monday, we are going to make this happen!” We went out to Manegait today today to watch a friend’s child ride and to enjoy their annual Gaitapalooza festivities.

zach horse 2

We have teamed up with a private fundraising company and Zach is going to be able to sell COFFEE to help with the cost of this therapy.

zach horse 3

We know {most everyone} loves coffee and also makes a great Christmas gift. Please let me know if you are interested in helping Zach out by buying some coffee this fall. Cost is $14 per bag.

zach horse

Check out Gaitway-to-the brain on how this will help Zach! Also check out Zach’s message to you hereSmile

Thanks so much!

No comments: