Monday, July 20, 2015

A Stranger Made My Bed

My family just returned from a 4470 mile trip.  As we left for our trip I was completely exhausted and depleted physically and emotionally. I had grown tired of the mundane day to day life I was living. My house was a mess, my kids were constantly bickering, and my husband was working long hours. I had just finished a huge responsibility for my part time job. I didn't know how depleted I was until I burst into uncontrollable tears over a small issue at church one day.  I just wanted to get away. I needed time away to reconnect with my husband and make memories with my children.

We first went to Georgia to see my 98 year old Grandmother who is now living in a memory care center. Although she is in a wonderful place with people serving her every need....it was sad. I have such amazing memories of her. A Godly woman who loved me dearly.  I was there for two days. The first time I saw her, she had a blank expressionless look on her face. I knew she did not recognize me.  The next day, I went to eat breakfast with her and when I walked in the breakfast room, she smiles and her eyes lit up.  Although she doesn't talk, I spent the next hour and half feeding her and telling her every story I could think of....and before I left I said "Grandmother, my whole life you prayed with me before we parted one another and now i want to pray with you." I don't know what she understands now, but  it was a precious moment I'll always remember and then she said "I love you." I almost expect those to be her last words to me.




We then went up to Michigan to visit Gordon's mom and dad for a few days. This is where the "vacation" part of our "trip" began. Michigan is an extremely peaceful place. Gordon's mom has always cooked for us and given me a real "break."  The children are old enough know to wander around and their grandparents have bought bikes for them to ride up and down the street. Its a place, I can send my 7,8 and 9 year old and let them ride their bikes without worrying someone will hit them.
I took the kids out on several side trips during the day to give Gordon an opportunity to help his parents around their house.  We visited Greenfield Village one day. We visited the Toledo Zoo the next day.









After a few days in Michigan we took a serendipity across Canada to see Niagra Falls. I was absolutely mezmorized by the beauty of the Falls. I did not know the area was so comercialized. It was not at all what i imagined in my mind.  But the pictures below does show what I had in my mind. God's unbelievable creation!!





After leaving Niagra Falls, we were headed 12 hours South to see my mom and dad.  But something happened a long the way that stopped me in my tracks. A friend of mine knew we were heading South on Hwy 79 and sent me a message that said " I have a cabin along your route if you need somewhere to spend the night."  We had not planned to stop along the way but the offer sounded like such a treat and another serendipity. My friend does not live at her cabin and contacted a local friend to get it ready for our family. I couldn't get over the fact that a stranger was making my bed that night. We live in such a fast paced world that we often don't think about the person who is making our bed behind a credit card swipe. This was a person I didn't even know who took time out of her busy day to make my bed. Jesus used this to get my attention. How often do I stop what I am doing to help others? Am I too busy to make a meal for someone who needs one? Am I too busy to work a puzzle with my children?  This sweet lady was Jesus to me in that moment. And I will purposefully take what Jesus taught me in that moment and be Jesus to someone else.  I was reminded of the verse in Mark where Jesus says " Truly I tell you,anyone who gives you a cup of water in my name because you belong to the Messiah will certainly not lose their reward." Mark 9:41.  I pray that if you have the opportunity to give someone a cup of water you will!!!










Our trip continued after a fun night in the woods of West Virginia to visit my sweet mom and dad. Mom always has the house full of food,toys and books for the children. Even though i did not live in their Tennessee house very long, it is still  a sweet place of rest and peace to me.  The children scurry about playing and  Dad enjoys telling the kids stories in his big chair. Again a place, where someone gave us water....and water....and more water!  While in town we visited the Titanic Museum for the second time.






My brother and his wife hosted us a night complete with a cookout on their beautiful porch overseeing those beautiful Tennessee Mountains.  Another cup of water......
 Here is a picture of me with his precious little daughter.







I took a day to visit my Hendersonville. I had the best 14 years of my life in Hendersonville, NC. I was ask recently how I "survived" being a pastor's daughter. I think two things. First of all, my parents never made me go to church, but instead they taught me to love Jesus..and because I loved Jesus, I wanted to be in His house and among His people. Secondly, the people of First Baptist Church of Hendersonville loved me well.   I enjoyed being in town and visiting many friends, but one of my favorite people hosted us for the night. As a preteen, she was my Math teacher:) She has made a point to  stay in touch with me and has become one of my closest confidants and mentors.  So that we could visit, her husband gave me the glass of water this time! He took the children down to the pond and fished with them for hours. How thankful to God I am for this family and how they showed Jesus to me and my kiddos.











As our trip started to wind down, Mom wanted to take the children over the Mountain to Cherokee, NC. She has wanted to do this for several years but I just now feel they were old enough to enjoy the 2 hour outdoor drama and rich history of the  Cherokee Indians.  How thankful I am for a mom and dad who love the Lord and wants to spend time with her grands!



The last day , I was blessed to spend 2 hours wth my lifelong friend....this was a sweet and precious time with a friend who I have known since birth!!!

 As I drove the 1,000 miles home to Texas from Tennessee, the Lord kept reminding me of these sweet cups of water....and has encouraged me to offer cups of water to other people.  I end this blog challenging you....what cup of water can you give today???


1 comment:

Ruthe said...

I followed your family trip twice - first through Facebook posts and now through this wonderful blog. Thank you for sharing the importance of the people and the relationships that made the trip so special, and also for the challenge of the cup of water. By the way, I recognize the Sally Clarkson book...I just got it for the library.