Well Blog Friends and Real Life Friends, today I put into action the suggestion of my friend who is a wonderful home school mom to 7 fabulous children. I was looking for ways to have individual learning time with one child…while keeping the other 2 happy and occupied at the same time:) My friend suggested making centers. So “Learn and Move” is my twist on centers. I wanted to give it a fun name so the children would associate what we were doing to the expectations I set. Today, I set up 4 stations. I took the kids around and showed them what to do at each station. I then explained to them they had to stay until they heard the kitchen timer go off. Today…we started with 5 minutes.
I spent much of the time today setting expectations and sending them back to their assigned station until the timer went off. But I believe with consistency and effort this system will work! I did manage to work with both boys for 5 minutes each. I am planning to use these 4 stations all week this week.
Levi is putting magnetic clothes on a magnetic person
Pegboard Fun!
These are a set of “Go Fish” cards. I just had them on the tray and told the kids to match all the cards. It took right at 5 minutes for this task.
This was the favorite of the day!
A Fun Dinosaur adding set I found through a book order. I had the kids match the dinos to the cards and then count them out loud after their dinos matched the cards. Next time, I will only give them 2 or 3 cards instead of the whole stack.
A couple of notes…
TRAYS! Levi’s preschool teacher always has her activities set up on trays when the kids arrive. The tray itself helps give the kids a perimeter in which to work. I found these fun trays at the dollar spot at Target last week. I have also gotten some great tray ideas from this site http://1plus1plus1equals1.blogspot.com/2009/02/tot-school-back-to-trays.html
LEARNING ACTIVITIES! I am constantly on the look for fun things for my kids to do. I look at garage sales, thrift stores, consignment sales…other peoples trash (seriously) I almost NEVER buy anything new…has to be cheap! I keep all these things in baggies or plastic tubs in my laundry room. That way they don’t get mixed in with the play toys and so the kids are interested in them when I bring them out.
Also, if you are reading this, please let me know who you are on facebook! Join the triplesmiles fan page http://www.facebook.com/pages/triplesmilesblogspotcom/319260222533?ref=ts
1 comment:
Sounds great! I do something similar with W while working with the big kids. Even Lu is in training with blanket time. I think it's great and love your activities.
Post a Comment