I have been struggling lately keeping it all together. My house is ALWAYS a mess…the laundry is NEVER finished….and the kids seem to be at each others throats on a consistent basis despite my efforts to teach them there is a better way!
I think part of my stress had been that I am a very organized, scheduled person and the week before and after Christmas we were all totally off our schedule.
Also as the calendar changed from 2010 to 2011….the realization that I am sending my oldest to kindergarten this year HIT HARD! Really??!! Wasn’t it just yesterday that he was born? I feel lots of pressure to “get him ready.”
So after putting my head together with some amazing professionals…I am trying at home a simple technique that I used in my 2nd grade class.
Last week, I took Zachariah’s picture doing everything we TRY to do in a day. Zachariah is the oldest and the example to the younger children!
I laminated the pictures and put a magnet on the back of them. I put them on my refrigerator.
Every day I put the pictures in the order that we are going to attempt to do our day. The goal is to TRY to do everything in the same order everyday. I have already noticed a HUGE difference when the children know what to expect next instead of me just pulling something out of the air. I remember this was always a key in the classroom too. Kids do better with routines…and it has just been an amazing difference since implementing the cards.
Before you ask…..I do not usually get EVERYTHING done EVERYDAY! And sometimes…I can combine activities.
I am hoping to share some of each category in the weeks to come.
No comments:
Post a Comment