I don’t typically use this blog as a “soap box” but as soon as I saw this
come home with my kids from church today……I knew I had to write a blog about my feelings about it. And before I get in Copyright trouble, this picture is a resource of LifeWay Christian Resources of the Southern Baptist Convention….
This picture depicts a busy mom with 2 children, one crying and her groceries all over the ground and her cel phone ringing from her purse. The caption above the picture reads “Somewhere along the way, we have given the cell phone too much control over our time!”
At first, I laughed at the article and said to my husband “Can you believe they actually have to educate parents on when and when not to answer the phone, my daddy taught me that 35 years ago!”
Gordon reminded me that before he met me, he too thought was a slave to answer the phone when it rang, wherever it rang. I agree that the phone is a good thing. Great for emergencies, great to be able to call a friend when you have some extra time, but the cel phone or any phone does not control me nor does it control the time I spend with my children. I assure you that if I’m in a busy parking lot and my phone rings…you are going to get my voice mail!
As a little girl, my Daddy NEVER answered the phone during meal times or family times. By ignoring that phone, he showed us that we were more important to him than whomever was on the other end of that phone call. He cherished our family.
I too have carried on that tradition by not answering the phone if I am engaged in any activity with my children, but especially at meal time. (Exception being waiting on a phone call from a doctor who has been paged) I am homeschooling my oldest full time this year and I was honestly amazed at how many people TRIED to reach me during my first homeschool day
I did return calls during my break and then after our school day….but I won’t be answering my phone during homeschool time
Now, do you want to know how I feel about the doorbell?
I think I’m gonna think about more Lessons I learned from my Daddy…and blog about them too. He could have written this article for lifeway a long time ago![]()
No comments:
Post a Comment