I think the question that most homeschool moms ask the most is “What curriculum are you using?”
I recently had the most fun honor to listen to, meet and chat with Lisa Welchel, most known for her role of Blair on Facts of Life.
However, Lisa has authored the book So Your Thinking About Homeschooling, it is a super fun read that revealed me that my style is “Eclectic”
In other words it means, “a little bit of this and a little bit of that” So when I am ask the question above, I honestly don’t know where to start!
I also know that my child (well all children) learn better when they are actually interested in the subject matter. Technically called “Interest Based Learning” and lastly I teach better by “Unit Studies” meaning that I try to make everything we are doing circle around our unit of study.
So…here goes, I bought a Reading Program called All About Learning. I will try to do a full post later about this program, but briefly it is a multi-sensory based phonics program. It is highly successful with dyslexic students. My children are not diagnosed with dyslexia, but some of them having more difficulty that others learning phonics based materials. I am working on ONE lesson per WEEK at this point out of this curriculum. day So..this past week our word work centered around the words with the short 0 sound.
I review the same lesson for 5 days in a row and in the meantime search for supplemental materials with the correct sound to be used on days 2-5 on the topic of the week.
On top of this curriculum, I find books and poems on Z’s Individual Reading Level that go along with his interest based study of the week…and also some books that correlate with his sight words for the week.
Very fittingly, Zachariah choose to study
Weather the first week of school. (Actually going to take us 2) So, we got to dig into our Science Kits that I have been collecting for 6 months now!
We used shaving cream in a jar to illustrate that when the clouds get heavy with water, it makes rain.
I am also using a Writing Program Called
Draw Right Now! It gives the children step by step instruction on how to draw something and also gives a writing assignment to go with each lesson. I am hoping to do one of these lessons per week. This week, both boys completed the “Rain” Lesson.
Another book we read this past week is A Little Cloud by Eric Carle.
After the book, they each had the opportunity to create something in the form of a cloud. Here they all are working hard on their projects.
The finished product
And with a touch of pink….
Lastly, I am incorporating projects and journals into our curriculum as I can. We learned about the Water Cycle and the kids worked together to make this…..
And yes, after teaching them a cute song….they can ALL say the words “goes up as Evaporation” “Forms Clouds of Condensation” and “Comes Down as Precipitation” (Tune of She’ll Be Coming Around the Mountain)
After a group project, they each had to produce the same information into their Science Journals.
So….there you go, that’s our Literacy chunk, I’ll have to do Math another day…because I’m about to grab a nap! I’m pooped!
A Huge THANK YOU to The First Grade Parade for your wonderful blog of inspiration!
1 comment:
Stars in your crown, Mama! I love keeping up with all you do...
Post a Comment